If You Have A Question, Ask It Now

Exam season for me is fast aproaching these next 2-3 weeks, and this is the time of year when I completely check out from finance writing and have to focus on the “real life” side of things (at least, to the extent that the bubble world of academia can be called real life).

That means that tonight is going to be my last day dedicated to writing any kind of finance content until after December 15th or so.

Two more things to add:

(1) I’m going to spend the next eight hours doing nothing but writing content, so hopefully this blog will get updated between now and December 15th, even though I won’t be around much.

(2) If you have a question that you’d like to see addressed publicly in its own blog post, send me an e-mail to [email protected] or post a question below this article entry now. There is a very good chance it will get answered and scheduled to be posted.

My plan is to get at least six or seven articles scheduled to be posted between now and December 15th, but we’ll see what I can do.

I hope all of you guys are doing well, and you’re in a better place with your finances, relationships, and health right now than you were this time last November.

God Bless,

Tim

22 thoughts on “If You Have A Question, Ask It Now

1. Chris says:

Tim,

Love your blog and SA articles, they've been so helpful in helping me learn.

As a young investor, I've always wondered how to divide up my portfolio between high quality growth stocks (eg V, DIS, etc) vs blue chip dividend stocks that would serve as a foundation for the portfolio.

Thanks for your work, good luck with your studies

2. balaji says:

Hi Tim-

I am an ardent follower of your blog and SA articles, I take your recommendations from Master List of Stocks and Constructing Portfolio articles, it completely changed the way I was thinking about Stock Market altogether. When you own stake in quality companies life gets excited and I am glad that I found your site.

Question is stock market being so high, what stocks you think are still attractive to put fresh capital?.

I have been watching JNJ, PG, CL, DIS etc and they are reaching high everyday. Any recommendations on which companies you think still are attractive today from your master list of stocks?

Good luck with your exams and I am sure you will ace them.

3. Scott says:

Tim,

I'd love to know your thoughts on minimum position size for beginning investors. It's great to talk about how to build wealth once you get a certain level of capital to start, but what would you recommend for someone just starting out? Second question, what are your thoughts on reinvestment into the company that pays dividends versus pooling and investing into what you consider your best value at that time?

Best of luck on your exams.

Scott

4. AaronFunding says:

Several good questions listed above. I hope we get some nice answers. I appreciate your writing here and on SA. One question I have: how do you feel about the idea of K as a bond replacement for a DGI portfolio?

As most say good luck on your exams, I extend that greeting to you as well, but let me add: in order to do well, you have to do well. So study well my good man. Study hard, but take breaks, eat well and take rests.

Know your subjects and the tests will be easy to pass.

Look forward to your return to the blog.

5. Jon says:

Hi Tim, I'm based in UK and follow your blog. What is your view on dividend investment for different age groups ? For eg I'm 47 years old and only started investing in dividend investing shares for past 2 years. I probably need to access my funds within next 10 years for retirement. To start with a high enough yield I've got quite a few REITS (O, HCP), T, SO and PM. I plan to buy the dividend growth stocks like MCD, KO, PG, JNJ, NESTLE etc when market is more attractive. I have many FTSE 100 shares. Regards, jon

6. luuk says:

Hi tim, i love dividend investing, however living in europe my us investments suffer when the euro rises, my skill in predicting currency exchange is very limited, how should i approach this?

Hey Tim,

I really enjoy reading your work, and it has helped me immensely when making investment decisions.

I have a question about Chevron (CVX). I am currently researching it, and noticed that you own it. Are you concerned at all that the company only pulled in about $450M in free cash flow over the last 12 months, while paying $7.5B in dividends? I read their latest conference call, where they said that the capex would level off soon, and that their dividend was top priority.

Just like to know your thoughts.

Thanks!

Dave

8. Jonnyb3005 says:

Hey Tim,

Would love to hear your thoughts on investing with a low income sub 50k and a family of 4,5,6,etc. Not everyone is single, has 2 incomes or a high income like a lot of the FIRE bloggers; but don't we all want out of the rat race ASAP!

9. Emma says:

Hi, I came across your website a few days ago & I want to thank you for sharing your knowledge. You have really opened my eyes to a solid way of investing. I had given up on stock market investing having tried mutual funds, then stock picking but still achieving sub market returns. Finally, a strategy that makes perfect sense. THANK YOU!

I have the same question as Jonnyb3005 above. Please do an article on a few hypothetical scenarios where someone is starting off small maybe a lump sum of $5k or else $200/mo. Is it better to start with one company from your Master list then gradually expand or else start with 3-5 companies?

Thanks so much!

10. Tim Schiffer says:

Good luck with the exam. No questions from my side there is a lot of info on this blog already.

@ Steven the ticker symbol is = NSRGY btw I love Nestle buy and hold forever!

11. Emma says:

Hi Tim,

I thought of another topic to ask that you cover if not now, sometime in the future: Dividend investing and taxes; how to keep track of your portfolio, esp. cost basis for tax reporting, whether to use tax software or an accountant; whether to invest in a Roth IRA or regular account etc.

Thanks!

12. Waterbuffalo says:

Tim, as always, love the articles. Good luck on the exams. Another great thing about the DGI stocks is that they will be there on Dec 15 when you return, still chugging along, selling everyday products and paying dividends. Can’t say that about the go-go growth stocks… if you take a half of a month away from the market, you might return just to find that you have lost 71% of the stocks’ value. CL and PG will never do that without you knowing about it.

Cheers

13. jon says:

@ Steven, &Tim yes NSRGY for Nestle is an ADR (American Deposit Receipt). I'm planning to buy some and my broker (Schwab) commented that you cannot execute dividend re-investment with an ADR but dividend withholding taxes are 15%. They pay dividends only once a year. Definitely a buy and hold forever stock.

14. Matt says:

Tim,

I know that you recommend some oil majors as good long-term investments. I own BP, CVX, COP and BBL. However, what are your thoughts on a decrease in oil demand due to efficiency increases and battery operated cars, etc. IMHO Nat gas seems to have staying power for power generation vs coal, but i am worried about oil.

thanks,